Saturday, January 10, 2009

Doubt - Movie Review

So earlier today we finally made it, out of our busy schedule, to the movie theater and got to watch "Doubt" with Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Meryl Streep. So I know in my pre-review that I posted earlier, I mentioned how I was sure there was going to be racial notes in it, but not as many as I thought. I had also read earlier that the movie had put too much faith in the two main actors to really carry this on their back, but I believe this statement to be wrong. I surprisingly liked the movie. I had to keep on bugging Zack about some of the terms or traditions that the catholic church does, during ceremony. A quick synopsis, Sister Aloysius Beauvier (Meryl Steep) accuses Father Brendan Flynn (Philip Seymour Hoffman) of "favoring" a young black school/ altar boy a bit too much!

So this movie was very entertaining, a bit slow in a few parts (as you should expect), but all in all it was a very good movie and kept me on the edge of my seat, waiting to find out what the sisters were going to do about the whole issue. The three main actors did a very good job with their roles, and made things very moving and believable. I would have to say though that there is an actor who did an excellent small part, and a very emotional dialoge that deserves credit where credit is due.
Viola Davis plays the role of Mrs. Miller, the mother of a student at the catholic school. Davis' dialogue was so moving and believable, I would say that for a small role, she did an excellent job and deserves to get at least nominated for something.

I give this movie an A-. This was a slow movie, yet still all in all entertaining. I am still actually wondering where the truth lies in the whole movie. The movie was worth seeing because of the pure acting in it. There are no explosions or spectacular filmography in this to take you away from a good natural story that can stand up to any other movie out right now, as far as entertainment value goes.

I suggest that you check out this movie if you have an interest in religion, the catholic church, and shall I say, doubt.

Grade: A-

About Boi In Austin

My Photo
Chad - Boi In Austin
Boi In Austin is 5'10" blonde hair, blue eyed, gay guy. He grew up in San Antonio, Texas in a conservative household. Now lives in Austin, Texas with his other half.
View my complete profile
Boi Facebook profile

  © Boi In Austin brought to you by Chad

Back to TOP